FROM THE VIRGINIA ROMANCE WRITERS:
The Virginia Romance Writers chapter of Romance Writers of America® is proud to announce our 20th Annual HOLT Medallion Contest for published authors. We would be honored to have you join our efforts to recognize and promote excellence in romantic fiction by entering your 2014 copyright romance book(s) in our competition.
The HOLT Medallion Award was named for VRW’s first elected president, Cynthia Holt, and serves as the acronym for Honoring Outstanding Literary Talent. Pewter medallions are awarded to the authors whose books are selected by a panel of romance readers as the best in each of twelve categories. What makes the HOLT unique is our purpose of reflecting the actual marketplace. Judging panels are comprised only of avid romance readers who participate with enthusiasm and sincerity. They’re looking for a good read, a book they would buy and an author they would follow. Their judging decisions reflect these inclinations. No editors, agents or writers are eligible to judge.
Eligible titles are romance novels, or novels with a strong element of romance, with a copyright date within the year preceding the competition (i.e., for the 2015 contest, books must have a 2014 copyright).
The eleven categories in which authors may enter are:
- Mainstream/Single Title Contemporary
- Long Contemporary
- Short Contemporary
- Long Inspirational
- Short Inspirational
- Paranormal/Time Travel/Futuristic/Fantasy
- Romantic Suspense
- Extra Spicy/Erotic
- Novel with Strong Romantic Elements
- Romance Novella
In addition, we have two bonus categories:
- Best First Book ($5 additional fee)
- Best Book by a Virginia Author (free for current Virginia residents)
Finalists will be announced on May 9th. Winners and Awards of Merit recipients will be announced at the June Meeting of the Virginia Romance Writers Chapter on June 13, 2015. They will also be published in a full page ad in RWR and Romantic Times magazine. In addition to the medallion (winners only), the winner and finalists receive a certificate.
The 2015 HOLT Medallion Contest will be accepting entries from December 1, 2014 through January 15, 2015. Please visit www.virginiaromancewriters.com for rules and entry form.
2015 HOLT Medallion Contest Coordinator
- Waning Moon by PJ Sharon Book Review (teacherwriter.net)
- Around the Web This Week (sylviaday.com)
- What I Learned From #NaNoWriMo (writingpossibilities.com)
- ARRC2015: concurrent session 2B (australianromancereaders.wordpress.com)
- Deep Characterization Using the Myers-Briggs Personality Types (andreajwenger.com)
- Featuring Tia Catalina, Romantic Suspense Author (suzannepurewal.wordpress.com)
- Opportunity Village award goes to Osage man (globegazette.com)